Yield: 6 servings
- 1 1/2 quart fresh or canned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar, if desired
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cloves
- 1 tablespoon fat, melted
- Cook together the tomatoes, bay leaf, onion, and cloves about 20 minutes for fresh tomatoes, 10 for canned.
- Press through a sieve.
- Blend the fat, and sugar (if used); gradually add the cooled, sieved tomatoes.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- If desired, add dumplings or sprinkle with finely chopped parsley and serve with toasted bread cubes.