Lemon and Nutmeg Doughnuts
Making homemade doughnuts is easier than you think. These taste like doughnuts from your favorite bakery, but they’re made at home.
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Sift the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt together. Add lemon zest, mixt, and set aside.
- Gradually add sugar to eggs, beating constantly at medium speed. Add the cream, milk, melted butter, and lemon juice.
- Lower the speed of the mixer slightly, and add the dry ingredients gradually to the wet mixture, mixing until all ingredients are combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Once the dough has chilled, roll out until it is about 1/2 inch thick, and cut into doughnut shapes.
- Let rest 10 minutes before frying.
- Heat fresh oil (peanut or vegetable) until it’s between 350 F and 365 F.
- When oil has reached 350 F / 365 F, carefully slide 3 or 4 doughnuts into the oil. Making sure not to overcrowd the fryer.
- When the doughnuts float to the surface of the oil, let them cook until they are golden, and gently flipover. Fry until they are golden brown on this side as well.
- With a slotted spoon transfer doughnuts onto a prepared pan with a rack or drain on paper towels.
- Continue frying the rest of doughnuts, making sure the oil comes back between 350 F / 365 F between batches.
- Optional: Coat with cinnamon sugar or icing sugar.