Loubie is a traditional Lebanese dish made with fresh green beans, tomato, onion, and garlic. This vegan dish requires only a handful of ingredients, and is so simple to make.
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 lbs fresh green beans, ends trimmed, cut into pieces (Romano beans if available)
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes, diced (or one 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp Lebanese 7-spices (Optional)
- In a saucepan, over medium-high heat, cook the onion in olive oil until translucent.
- Add garlic, stir often to prevent burning until golden.
- Turn heat to low-medium. Add green beans, and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Add tomato paste diluted in 1/2 cup of water.
- Salt to taste.
- (Optional: add the Lebanese 7-spices).
- Cover and braise for 30 min.
Serve cold or at room temperature with pita bread as an appetizer. Can be eaten as an appetizer, a side dish or a main dish. It tastes even better the next day.