Profiterole, cream puff, or choux à la crème may be left plain or garnished with chocolate sauce and are so easy to make. All your guests will think you are a great chef!
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
For Chocolate Sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 12 ounces semisweet or dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan combine the water, butter, sugar, and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, then add flour all at once and cook
- Beating with a wooden spoon, until the mixture pulls away from the side of the pan and forms a ball.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and cool slightly,
- Using an electric mixer, add eggs 1 at a time, beating well with an electric mixer after each addition.
- Transfer the mixture to a pastry bag equipped with a large straight tip and pipe 1-inch balls onto a sheet tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes
- Make a small slit on the side of each puff. Turn off the oven and allow them to sit for another 5 minutes.
- Cool on sheet on a rack.
- For the chocolate sauce, place the heavy cream, and chocolate in a bowl set over simmering water, and stir just until the chocolate melts.
- Remove from heat and add pure vanilla extract. Keep warm.
- Serve 3 profiteroles on a plate and top with warm chocolate sauce
You can also cut each profiterole in half crosswise, fill with a small scoop of ice cream, replace the top, and top with warm chocolate sauce.